In 1892 Evan Pell purchased the current property from J. Newton Bryson for $27 and built the present structure using American Chestnut and English Poplar for the siding. Pell ran it as a general store until his untimely death in 1901. Since then Badger Toy, Willis Cauble and many others have run stores here at various points in time. During this period farmers on their way to markets in Sylva and Asheville would stop to water their livestock in the small branch (creek) which borders the property. The building was also used as a school, post office, tack shop and a private dwelling for such locals as Uncle Bubba Bryson, Wimp Davis and others. The building first became an outdoor deli style restaurant when Ske Dick opened the Purple Onion Shoppe in 1971.
CELEBRATING 37 SEASONS AS CASHIERS' FAVORITE PORCH!